Stick ’em in your mouth and suck ’em!
So I took a couple of days off from work (today and Monday), so I’ll have a long weekend. And how did I spend my big day today? Helping mom make cookies for a couple of cookie trays for the wedding shower of a friend of the family… a shower I’m not even going to. I must be up for Daughter of the Year. I don’t actually mind at all, but it is kind of funny that I use so many of my PTO days for cookie baking (usually at least 2 a year – other PTO days are often used for chores!)
Today I am going to share with you the recipe for my most favorite cookies ever – Chocolate Cherry Nutballs! We really only make them when we do cookie trays at Christmas and for the occasional shower. They are awesome and moist and wonderful and get lots of compliments wherever we take them.
This is actually a recipe that my mom created by taking elements from a couple of different recipes and it’s better than anything else like it! When I said I was going to post it in my blog, she said “What, our secret recipe?” Yes, because a) cooking is all about sharing, b) blogging is all about sharing, and c) the recipe I’m looking at right now is actually a print out of an e-mail from her sent folder in Outlook in which she shared our “secret recipe” with a couple of coworkers – doesn’t seem like a very good secret to me!
Anyway, here it is:
- 1 Cup butter, softened
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Cups flour
- 1/2 Cup bakers cocoa
- 1/2 Cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 Cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 Cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
3. Add egg yolks and salt and beat until fluffy.
4. Mix flour and cocoa together and add gradually to mixture.
5. Add nuts, cherries and chocolate chips.
6. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes.
8. Glaze with a mixture of confectioners sugar and milk once cooled (optional, but highly recommended).
At this point, I would suggest sampling one… and you can pretty much die now, because your life will just now be complete.
And, of course, how can any post about chocolate balls be complete without Chef’s Chocolate Salty Balls?