The other day, I came across a ridiculously simple recipe to make your own potato chips using your microwave. It’s something that I just would have never thought possible and I, of course, couldn’t wait to try it out! Also, it’s got to be healthier than the greasy fried stuff you get in a bag!
All you need is one or two Yukon Gold or Idaho potatoes, olive oil, and the seasoning of your choice.
– First, you just cut your washed potatoes into super thin slices ( a mandolin would probably be great here, but I just used a good sharp knife and did my best).
– Next, toss them in about a tablespoon of olive oil ( I find that throwing them into a plastic bag and giving them a good shake works best for me).
– Arrange slices on a microwave safe plate. Try not to overlap too much or they’ll stick together!
– Season them to your liking (I like to use a little black pepper and garlic salt on mine).
– Heat on high for 5 minutes.
– Take out plate and flip your chips.
– Heat on high for another 3 to 5 minutes.
– Take chips out once they’ve browned up a bit and let cool for a few minutes.
Cooking times will vary a little depending on thickness of your slices and your microwave. You’ll probably have to do them in a couple of batches.
I’ve tried this a few times now and it’s definitely a work in progress. I don’t think I’ve quite perfected it yet, but I’ve definitely had some pretty good results. A little time consuming, but a fun project.
Give it a try and definitely let me know how it works out for you! Maybe, I’ll even try it using sweet potatoes next…